Finding a chair or recliner for sleeping after shoulder surgery should be at the top. Why? Because in the days following shoulder surgery, you’ll spend more time in your recliner. Therefore, using the right recliner will help you rest properly and keep you as comfortable as possible to recover fully.
Sitting in the best recliner for shoulder surgery recovery means getting both a comfy chair and a bed in one place for a comfortable sleeping position. This means you won’t have to move around much.
Besides providing comfort, a recliner with thickly padded backrests will also relax the shoulder joints and the soft tissues around the shoulders.
Furthermore, this article will discuss the importance of using a recliner after shoulder surgery. We will also discuss the things you should pay attention to, as well as recommended recliners after shoulder surgery.
Based on our 15 hours of extensive research, I hope this article will help you prepare for and recover from shoulder surgery.
Table of Contents
At A Glance: 6 Best Recliner For Shoulder Surgery Recovery
Here are the recommended products at a glance to help you choose what suits your needs.
Can You Sit In A Recliner After Shoulder Surgery
Yes, you can sit in a recliner chair comfortably after shoulder surgery. Most people who undergo chronic shoulder pain find sitting in a regular chair for long periods very hard. So the people recovering from surgery opt for recliners.
Suppose you try sitting for long hours on conventional chairs. In that case, gravity will constantly act on your buttock area, which can be very uncomfortable, and you will be irritated after some time of sitting.
Therefore, a recliner is a perfect place to rest if you know how to sleep in recliner after shoulder surgery, as it has soft cushions to keep you comfortable for a prolonged period of time. You can also easily adjust the reclining positions and the footrest to get the right position according to your preferences.
Why Recliners Are Perfect After Shoulder Surgery
After shoulder surgery, the most important thing is to remain comfortable. Therefore, a recliner chair is perfect after surgery. Most of you would be familiar with the number of advantages reclining chairs provide. Among them are:
- The recliners are easy to get into and out of. (such as Power Lift Recliners).
- Multiple sitting positions in a recliner allow you to do various things while seated.
- Most ergonomic recliners offer comfortable footrests that can be elevated, and some even elevate the footrest above the heart level to promote natural blood flow.
- The well-designed recliner’s softness and comfort help maintain your body alignment and provide ideal support from head to toe. For added head support and comfort, you can add pillows.
Having a recliner allows you to be comfortable and more independent during your recovery. Post-surgery recliners (such as power recliners) will enable you to adjust the reclining positions with the touch of a button. You can also read books, watch television and eat while sitting in them.
You can even do the exercises that your medical professionals prescribe following your post-surgery period, and once you do your recommended exercises, you can also apply ice to your shoulder while sitting in a recliner to reduce pain and swelling.
Icing The Shoulder And Sleeping In The Recliner After Surgery (My Dad’s Freind Experience)
A few years back, my dad’s close friend underwent shoulder surgery. He was really confused because there wasn’t any information on the web to assist him from A to Z in determining the best rated recliner for shoulder surgery.
At first, he decided to rent a recliner after shoulder surgery. This was because of the hesitation he was feeling as to which recliner he should buy, whether it should be power or manual, and should he value price or value comfort.
I researched all the questions related to the topic a long time ago. However, I am now writing about the things and the video I recommended to my dad’s best friend.
Another good thing I wanted to mention is that the recommendation his doctors gave him was what he was looking for, and it was a power recliner, just like the one I recommend(Ashley Yandel Power Lift Recliner).
My dad’s friend liked the way the recliner helped him to relax after surgery, and he was pleased with the results; he still enjoys his weekend nap in that recliner though he’s recovered.
In addition to doing all the exercises prescribed, he could sleep comfortably for long hours in the recliner.
OK, so that was the recliner’s talk which was discussed further in detail. But what other things did we find out that made things much easier for my dad’s friend after the surgery and ensured his speedy recovery?
Here’s a video that will explain what I am trying to say and how you can improve your post-surgical recovery by using a recliner chair and icing too.
Reviews For Best Shoulder Surgery Recliner Chairs
After testing and reviewing dozens of different models, I finally narrowed it down to the six best recliners for shoulder surgery recovery which I have listed below with detailed descriptions of each.
1. Ashley Yandel Power Lift Recliner – Best Recliner for Sleeping After Shoulder Surgery
- Material: It features brown saddle upholstery that appears leather, but it’s made of thick poly fiber that feels soft and comfortable.
- Comfort: The chair has a thickly cushioned back, offering maximum comfort from the head down to the lower spine.
- Dual Motors Chair: This chair is equipped with two smooth and sturdy motors that work independently and power the recliner.
- Reclining and Lift Feature: It offers smooth reclining adjustment and features a lift function to assist the patient while standing.
- Easy Adjustment: The power remote control lets you easily adjust and use the reclining and lift feature with the touch of a button.
- Durability Check: The chair is made of sturdy corner-blocked framed with a metal reinforced seat.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: Do you want to experience all the luxuries a power recliner offers? Look no further than Ashley Yandel power lift recliner for shoulder surgery, as this is the same recliner I mentioned above that my dad’s friend bought.
Ashley is a well-respected company and has been in business for 70 years. The company is passionate about manufacturing high-quality and valuable furniture, and I like that they assemble all of their furniture in the U.S.
This chair has everything a buyer could desire: it’s comfortable to sit in, attractive in design, soft to touch and has many useful yet modern features.
The reclining mechanism of this Ashley recliner is top-notch and allows for an infinite number of positions. You can stop at any position you desire without pulling a lever or pushing a button.
How can we forget the lift feature of this shoulder surgery recliner? The lift function is excellent and will give you a helping hand whenever you need to stand up. According to our testing, the lift function is one of the most beneficial features as it makes getting in and out of the chair a breeze. This is helpful during recovery.
I like that this chair comes with two smooth and sturdy motors that work independently to power the recliner. You can use the power remote control to adjust the chair’s lift and recline function with a button’s flick. It makes the process hassle-free for the patient as he can operate the recliner’s mechanism with his left hand.
There is also a positive aspect about this chair: Many reviewers said they have bought multiple chairs from Ashley furniture over the years and keep returning.
Final Thoughts: If you’re looking for a well-rounded power lift recliner with many features and endless comfort, go with Ashley Yandel. It’s one of the most comfortable recliners on the market and will make your shoulder surgery recovery much more bearable.
2. Domesis Power Lift Chair – Best Recliner After Shoulder Surgery
- Material: It’s upholstered in durable, breathable Renu leather, which makes sitting on it very comfortable
- Comfort: The chair has an ergonomic design that is fully padded with plush, high-density foam to provide ideal back and shoulder support.
- Lift Function: It has a lift feature to make standing easier.
- Reclining: It offers an easily adjustable reclining position, as well as a footrest that lets you stretch your legs comfortably.
- Durability Check: The chair is made with laminated hardwood and a steel frame, sturdy enough to support 300 lbs.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: Compared to our top pick, the Ashley recliner, this Domesis Power Lift Chair still wins the race for the top recliner for shoulder surgery. This is due to the chair’s low price point and excellent value.
In light of the fact that a single motor powers this recliner chair, it is impossible to adjust the recline, lift, and footrest elevation independently. For this reason, it is in the second spot on our list of the best recliners for sleeping after shoulder surgery.
However, the most noteworthy thing about this recliner is its level of trustworthiness and the best reviews on Amazon. Customers love the style and comfort as well as the lift assistant of this Domesis Lift chair which aids in standing.
In addition to being comfortable, this recliner is not bulky. As a result, the chair takes up less space when reclining because it has a space-saving design.
Changing the reclining positions is made easy by the easy-to-use remote control, which has two buttons. One controls reclining, while the other controls the lift feature, making getting in and out much easier after shoulder surgery.
Final Thoughts: If you’re looking for an affordable and convenient lift chair that offers all the necessary features one can expect after surgery, this is a viable option after our top pick.
3. Mcombo Power Lift Recliner – Best Massage Recliner After Shoulder Surgery
- Material: The chair is made of high-quality faux leather that is durable and easy to clean.
- Lift Feature: It features a counter-balanced lift mechanism that lifts the chair so the user can stand up easily without causing discomfort to their backs or knees.
- Reclining: It also offers smooth reclining positions that can be easily adjusted by a two-button remote (which also controls the lift function).
- Massage And Heat: The chair has 8 massage points and one lumbar heating (both of which can be controlled individually).
- Convenient Features: It offers two side pockets, two cup holders for beverages, and a USB port for charging your devices, making daily life tasks easier.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: The Mcombo Power Lift Massage Recliner is another comfortable recliner to sit in after shoulder surgery. With almost the same comfort features listed above as Ashley’s recommendation at a lesser price.
What Makes This Recliner Apart From Others On The List: When our testing team tried out this recliner, we all agreed that it was one of the most comfortable and feature-rich chairs available. There are a couple of things that set this reclining chair apart from other recliners on the list, such as:
- Its Heat and Massage Feature.
- Its convenient features (USB Port, Cup Holders, Side Pockets)
- It costs less than Ashley’s recliners.
The heat and massage feature is a big selling point of this recliner because it can help with blood circulation and provide relaxation and stress relief. Many customers have attested to the fact that this has helped with their post-surgery recovery.
Also, other features such as the reclining capability and lift support provide the user with an easy lifestyle to prevent unnecessary strains and discomfort while sitting.
Mcombo power lift recliners also come with a corded remote that controls many features such as lifting, heating, massage, reclining, and reclining assistance.
Final Thoughts: Anyone recovering from shoulder surgery looking for a massage recliner with all the best features, including my favorite, a massage, and heating function, should give this recliner a try. It also has a decent price tag to match.
4. Flash Furniture Rocker Recliner – Best Rocking Recliner For Post Shoulder Surgery (Manual Option)
- Material: The chair is upholstered in durable LeatherSoft fabric.
- Comfort: It features a bustle back cushion and pushed armrests to maximize seated persons’ comfort.
- Recliner Mechanism: It has a smooth rocking motion and an adjustable reclining mechanism that can be adjusted with a side lever.
- Durability check: It’s made of premium materials and has a durable construction that will last for years.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: This Flash Furniture recliner is an excellent addition to any living room, and its luxurious upholstery is available in brown or sleek black to match any decor.
According to our testing, this Flash Furniture recliner is one of the most comfortable rocking recliners on our list because it was designed with comfort in mind.
In contrast to other recliners on the list of the best reclining chair for after shoulder surgery, this one is not a power recliner; instead functions manually.
Thanks to the convenient and easy-to-use lever, the user can easily adjust the reclining position and enjoy the whole lounge experience. The chair provides maximum comfort while promoting proper posture and preventing pressure points with a thickly padded backrest, seat, and armrest.
Final Thoughts: Several customers have written positive reviews about Flash’s reclining sofa, and they praise the fact that it doesn’t rock when reclined. Besides its classically-styled design, our testing team also found this recliner very comfortable to sit on and an excellent choice for those recovering from shoulder surgery.
5. Esright Power Lift Chair Recliner – Best Recliner For Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Material: The chair is constructed of high-quality composite material, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- Massage and Lumbar Heating: It comes with 8 vibration massage points and lumbar heating, all controlled by the convenient remote.
- Lift Assistance: The lift recliner is powered by UL certified actuator that moves the entire chair up to assist the patient in standing up easily.
- Reclining Position: It has a smooth reclining mechanism that can recline up to 145°, and the lift and reclining functions are controlled with 2 buttons on the chair.
- Convenient Features: It has 2 side pockets for easy storage, cup-holders on both sides, and a USB port for charging various devices.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: The Esright Power Lift Recliner is another recliner chair for shoulder surgery with versatile and multi-functional features.
With the comfortable seat and backrest of the Esright lift recliner, you’ll achieve proper spinal alignment and prevent excessive pressure from being applied to your body.
This recliner chair’s massage and heat function are also helpful for relaxing and enjoying healing therapy. You can adjust the recliner functions to your liking with an easily operated remote control.
When it comes to the recliner’s mechanism, it provides a smooth range of motion. Another convenient thing about this recliner is its 360-degree swivel base, so you can easily move around while seated and grab whatever you need from the coffee table or side table.
Positive customer feedback led us to include this chair on our recommendation list for the best shoulder surgery recliner. Buyers appreciate that both the lifting and reclining features work well and provide a comfortable lounging experience.
Final Thoughts: Like our third recommended recliner, this recliner provides almost the same comfort and features. The primary difference is that this recliner chair suits those on a budget and doesn’t require a bulky chair. So it’s also a great choice for people with rotator cuff surgery.
We Also Consider This Last One
6. TACKspace Power Lift Recliner – Comfortable Recliner Chair For Shoulder Surgery
Overview: This recliner will undoubtedly help you with surgery recovery. Just like our number 3 and number 5 power lift recliners, it has almost all the features they offer, and its main difference is that it has fewer reviews than the others.
However, based on one buyer comment, he stated that he doesn’t usually buy items with few reviews: the more reviews, the more comfortable he feels, but he decided to buy this one when this lift recliner only had 2 reviews, and guess what? He got what he was looking for.
Regarding the chair’s features, it has soft upholstery and a robust mechanism that can support up to 330 lbs. The recliner mechanism offers smooth reclining positions that can be adjusted from 45° to 160°.
The lift feature is powered by a silent and smooth motor, which works perfectly to ease the patient in easy standing. You can control both the reclining and lift functions with the wired remote.
Therefore, given the overall features and contemporary design, this can still be a comfortable recliner to sleep in after shoulder surgery.
Our Testing Process For Ideal Shoulder Surgery Recliner
After my dad’s friend experienced his shoulder surgery, I decided to put all the information I had gathered to good use. We selected six of the most effective recliners for shoulder surgery recovery and put them through a series of tests to determine which one was the best.
We looked for recliners that were comfortable, supportive, and had features that would be helpful during the recovery process. We also took into consideration the price of each recliner and whether it was covered by Medicare.
Reading reviews from other people who had undergone shoulder surgery was also helpful in determining which recliners had the features that were most helpful.
In the end, we found that the Ashley Yandel Power Lift Recliner was the right recliner for shoulder surgery recovery. It was comfortable, supportive, and had all the features we were looking for.
Why Is A Lift Recliner Better Than A Standard Recliner After Shoulder Surgery?
Indeed, this is a great question. There are a lot of reasons why a lift recliner is considered the best recliner than a standard recliner for shoulder surgery recovery. First, let me inform you of a crucial point; then, we will discuss the pros and cons of having lift chairs.
Firstly, manual or lazy boy recliners, which are manually operated, usually have a lever on the right side to adjust the reclining position and footrest.
As a result, the right-sided controls can be a real problem for the patient after surgery since the surgical arm is often the dominant hand, that is, the right hand.
Therefore, it would be challenging for the patient to adapt to an electric or manual recliner after right arm surgery with the right side controlling mechanism. So, power lift recliners come with easy to use remote which can be operated with either hand.
|Recliners Type||Good After Shoulder Surgery?|
|Dual Motor Power Lift Recliner||✔️✔️✔️✔️ (Excellent)|
|Single Motor Lift Recliner + Massage & Heat||✔️✔️✔️✔️ (Excellent)|
|Simple Power Recliner||✔️✔️ (Good)|
|Manual Recliner||✔️(Just Fine)|
Now let’s look at the pros and cons of lift chairs:
Pros Of Lift Recliners
- In a standard recliner, you have to lift your arms and back to get up, which can be a big challenge after surgery. A lift recliner makes it easier for you to get up.
- Most power lift recliners come with a convenient remote, which allows the seated person to control the features with a simple touch of a button.
- They are built with high-quality materials and sturdy construction for long-term reliability.
Cons Of Lift Recliners
- Power lift recliners work on electricity, so they must be placed near an electrical point.
- Operating the power recliner during a power outage is impossible if there is no battery backup.
- The electrical mechanism of the power lift chairs makes them a bit pricey, but they are worth buying.
It is essential to have a comfortable recliner after shoulder surgery. Sure, you can sit in a regular chair, but I promise you, it will not be comfortable for you to sit for extended periods of time.
The best recliner for sleeping after shoulder surgery provides:
- Comfortable back support.
- An adjustable reclining mechanism.
- A lift feature that works as an assistant to make standing easier.
In addition, the best recliner for shoulder surgery recovery comes with a remote control so that it is easy to adapt a recliner after right arm surgery by using all the adjustable features with the help of the remote control, which can be conveniently used with the left hand easily.
To conclude, I hope you now have all the information regarding the best post-surgery recliner to make informed decisions regarding your choice. However, if you are still confused about which one to go for, here’s what I recommend.
- If you value comfort over price, you should pick the Ashley recliner, as it satisfies all requirements for the best recliner to sit in after shoulder surgery.
- If you’re looking for a massage recliner with almost the same comfort as Ashley recliner, the Mcambo Power Lift recliner is a great option. It’s also reasonably priced.
The other options on the list also provide maximum comfort, so I hope it will be easy for you now to select the recliner according to your preferences.
Shoulder Surgery Recliners – Related FAQs
Below are the frequently asked questions that are related to our blog about shoulder surgery recliners:
Do I Need a Recliner After Shoulder Surgery?
Most people who have undergone shoulder surgery find that sitting in a reclined position is the most comfortable because it reduces pain and tension in the shoulder joint and the surrounding soft tissues. Therefore, recliner chairs are an excellent option for recovery after shoulder surgery.
Is It Possible to Get Left-Controlled Recliners?
Manufacturers mainly make recliners with controls on the right side. However, you can get a customized recliner from special manufacturers if you order it. It may take a while for your customized order to arrive.
Is It OK To Sleep In A Recliner After Shoulder Surgery?
Yes, it is OK to sleep in a recliner after shoulder surgery because sleeping in a recliner is more comfortable and common than sleeping in those conventional chairs in an upright posture.
One thing you have to make sure of is that the recliner you choose gives you the right amount of back and lumbar support. For additional comfort, you can place extra pillows.
Do You Have To Sleep In A Recliner After Shoulder Surgery?
People who have undergone shoulder surgery are typically advised to sleep in a semi-reclined sleeping position rather than sleeping on their back after the surgery. They are told to do this because if they sleep on their back after the surgery, it can be dangerous to stand up since it puts pressure on the shoulder.
Thus, recliners are great to sleep in since they can be adjusted according to your preference.
How long after rotator cuff surgery should I sleep in a recliner?
Sleeping in a recliner after rotator cuff surgery is usually best as it doesn’t put any pressure on the rotator cuff. A good rule of thumb is to sleep in a recliner for at least 2 weeks after surgery. This will help ensure a speedy and successful recovery.
You Can Also Read: