If your reclining sofa isn’t working correctly, there may be a cable that needs to be replaced. This guide will show you how to fix the cable on a reclining sofa to function correctly.
It’s not that difficult to do, but it can be a bit tricky getting the cable back in the right spot.
According to our experience, we don’t suggest short-term remedies for this sort of problem. A reclining sofa with a broken or frayed cable might be very dangerous.
We highly recommend that you replace your reclining sofa’s cable. As a result, by following these simple instructions on replacing the cable and handle on a recliner, you can have your couch up and running again quickly!
Table of Contents
Earlier this year, we wrote about our experience with a reclining couch. At the time, the recliner was just over a year old and starting to show its age (and lack of quality). Our biggest problem with the recliner sofa was that the cable needed replacing because when we pull the trigger release latch, the footrest does not extend.
We reached out to the company who originally made the sofa for recliner cable repair, but they wouldn’t cover the repair cost under warranty. So, we were left with two options: replace the cable ourselves or buy a new reclining sofa.
We did some digging and discovered that this is a widespread problem with low-quality recliners or even recliner sofas in general. After much deliberation, we decided that the right course of action would be to replace the cable instead of buying a new recliner couch or fixing it ourselves. Here’s how we did it…
What You’ll Need
- Replacement cable (we recommend getting a few extras just in case)
- Manual or Electric Screwdriver
- Pair of Pliers
A Step By Step Guide: How To Replace Cable And Handle On A Recliner
1. Remove trigger release handle:
The trigger release handle is what you use to recline the sofa. To replace the cable, you’ll need to remove this handle. Unscrew the two screws at the top and bottom of the handle using a manual or electric screwdriver. After that, pull the handle away from the sofa.
2. Tip the chair over to access where the cable meets the mechanism:
After the handle is detached, you need to tip the chair over. Tipping over the recliner will provide access to where the cable meets the mechanism. It’s essential to be careful and intentional when tipping the recliner over. For our case, we laid a sheet on the floor to protect against any possible damage to the sofa’s fabric due to flipping it over.
3. Locate the end of the cable:
- Once the chair is tipped over, locate the end of the cable attached to the mechanism.
- Using the pliers, pinch the plastic clip closed, allowing you to push it through and release the cable from the mechanism.
- Note that the plastic clip can only be accessed when the recliner’s footrest is closed.
- Now, pull the mechanical arm to unhook the cable and expose the release arm, where the cable end is attached.
- Then lift the release arm above your head to reveal the cable end and disconnect it. Make a note of which hold the cable was housed since you’ll need this information later.
- As a final step of this step, remove the defective cable from the recliner.
4. Install the new cable:
- Now that the old, faulty cable has been removed, it’s time to install the new one.
- Start by feeding the new cable through the recliner’s side.
- Place the plastic clasp of the cable in position and listen for a click to confirm a tight fit.
- Raise the release arm once more and connect the end of the cable into one of the holes; you may have more than one hole to choose from, which will dictate the cable’s tension and influence how responsive your trigger is; this can be modified as needed at any moment.
5. Close the footrest and place the recliner back in the upright position:
Now that the new cable is installed, you can close the footrest and place the recliner back in the upright position. Then secure the trigger release handle back in place with the screws previously removed.
6. Test The Sofa:
It’s now time to put the new cable to the test. Pull the trigger release handle and recline the sofa. The footrest should extend smoothly without any issues. If the tension is too loose or too tight, you can adjust it by moving the cable to a different hole on the release arm.
For practical demostration of the above steps, watch the below video:
Replacing the cable on your reclining sofa is a simple procedure that can be completed by anybody with a few tools. The most important thing is to be careful when flipping the chair over and to take your time so that you don’t damage anything in the process. With patience and care, your recliner will work like new in no time!
In the end, we hope this guide was helpful and that you’re now more comfortable replacing your reclining sofa’s cable. Thank you for taking the time to read, and stay safe!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can you buy recliner cables?
There are a few places to buy recliner cables, such as online retailers or home improvement stores.
How much do recliner cables cost?
Recliner cables typically cost somewhere between $10 and $20.
How do you know if my recliner needs a new cable?
If your recliner isn’t working correctly or the footrest isn’t extending smoothly, the cable likely needs to be replaced. Other signs that the cable needs to be replaced include fraying or wear and tear on the cable itself.
How do you reattach a recliner cable?
To reattach a recliner cable, you’ll need to follow the same process as outlined in the guide above. However, be sure to inspect the recliner cable for fraying, tearing, or being lost. If you only tighten the screws or bolts that hold the cable in position and it is just loose, you may try to do so. If the cable is frayed or damaged beyond repair, you’ll need to replace the entire recliner cable.
What to do if my couch recliner pull cord broke?
If your recliner’s pull cord breaks, you’ll need to replace the entire cord. The easiest way to purchase pull cords is to buy them from a home improvement store or an online retailer.
You Can Also Read: