Edema is a condition where swelling occurs due to fluid trapped in your body’s tissues. Most often, this swelling occurs in the legs and feet, but it can also occur in other parts of the body.
Excess fluid can be difficult to remove because veins don’t receive adequate pressure, and this means veins have to work extra hard against gravity to remove fluids and pump blood up to the heart. This is where recliners are handy since the right recliner can ensure proper circulation by elevating legs above the heart, which will reduce swelling.
Therefore, in this guide, we look at all the key aspects you should consider when choosing the best recliner for edema, as well as our Top 6 picks for the best recliners on the market right now so that you can make an educated decision.
Table of Contents
At A Glance: The 6 Very Best Recliner For Edema
For those in a hurry, below you will find the list of our top recommendations of the best recliners for edema, based on our thorough research. (Further), some important factors are discussed below. After that, we review each product in detail and then we have a buyers guide, which provides you with the best information online about finding the best recliners.
- Mcombo Electric Recliner Chair – Best Power Lift Recliner for Edema
- Human Touch Perfect Chair “PC-420”– Best Recliner chair for Edema
- Irene House Lift Chair Recliners – Comfortable Recliner To Ease Swollen Feet
- Esright Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair – Comfortable Massage Recliner For Edema
- ANJ Large Power Lift Recliner – Best Recliner Chairs With Massage And Heat Therapy
- TACKspace Power Lift Chair – Best Affordable Edema Recliner
Our Testing Process For Best Recliner Sofa For Reliving Edema
We tested each of the recliners across a range of criteria including comfort, support, durability and ease of use.
We took into account the material used, the construction of the chair and its adjustability options.
We also tested each recliner for how well it supports your legs when in a reclined position, as well as the level of comfort it provides. Many of the recliners we tested also feature massage and heat functions, which can be beneficial to those with edema.
All in all, our testing process was thorough and comprehensive, ensuring that each of the recliners we recommend are of the highest quality.
We believe that these recliners will be the perfect addition to your home if you are looking for the best recliner to ease your edema.
What Type Of Recliner Are Best For Edema(Lift Recliner or Standard Recliner)
Sitting in a dual motor rise and recline chair (Lift Chairs) or recliner with an adjustable footrest and backrest is beneficial for edema or swollen legs. This is because Lift Chairs or Adjustable Recliners allow you to elevate your legs above your heart, making blood flow more natural and reducing swelling. Therefore, recliners are recommended for leg circulation problems.
Factors That Can Cause Edema Or Swollen Legs
There are many reasons for Edema, such as:
- Decreased Blood Circulation: A lack of blood flow to a specific part or entire body can result in the accumulation of fluid in certain locations.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women commonly experience edema in their ankles and feet because of the extra fluid in their bodies and the pressure from a growing uterus.
- Injury: A severe injury or serious bodily trauma can lead to edema as well because they can damage small blood vessels, which leak fluid into the surrounding tissues.
- Medications: According to Medical News Today, certain types of medication, such as those that cause water retention, can lead to edema. Drugs that cause leg puffiness include calcium-channel blockers that lower blood pressure, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, estrogen, and steroids.
Conclusion: A person may feel swollen feet for several reasons, but if one thinks his medications are to blame, he should consult a doctor. Next, lets see how recliners help in the situation of edema
How Can Recliners Prevent Edema Causes?
Well-designed recliners with modern features such as lift chairs or adjustable recliners can help maintain proper posture. Such recliners have an adjustable footrest that allows you to rest your legs comfortably. You can raise the leg-rest(footrest) to elevate your feet above your heart, which can improve blood circulation.
How do recliners help swollen feet during pregnancy?
According to Sleep Foundation, pregnant women with swollen feet should elevate their legs higher than their bellies. In this position, blood flow is improved to the uterus, as well as to the mother herself.
Yet, many pregnant women have concerns about elevating their feet while pregnant and whether they should recline? The answer is simple: elevating your feet for 20 minutes three or four times a day can help reduce swelling.
In such a case, the recliner is the right choice, since your bed may be uncomfortable in the case of pregnancy when one needs to safely recline and elevate to stay comfortable
However, it is not recommended to fully recline or lie flat while pregnant, since the weight of the baby can compress a major blood vessel when you sleep on your back. Therefore, it is safer to sleep slightly reclined instead of fully reclined. If you place a cushion, pillow, or towel under the right side of your back, you will lean to the left, which is the safest position to sleep on a recliner while pregnant.
In comparison to traditional and normal chairs, recliners provide much better comfort after the injury. An additional benefit of lift chairs is that they have enhanced features, such as an elevated leg rest and a smooth reclining mechanism. These features can be controlled with the touch of a button. Lift chairs are a blessing for injured patients because they take away the inconveniences they have to deal with.
Conclusion: Because of all the benefits recliner provide under different conditions, it's safe to say that they will be the best choice to prevent your edema from worsening and to encourage you to heal.
1. Mcombo Electric Recliner Chair – Best Power Lift Recliner for Edema
- Material: It is made of high-quality faux leather which makes it durable and easy to maintain.
- Lift Feature: The chair is equipped with a counterbalanced lift mechanism that allows you to rise and elevate your body without any pressure and is helpful for blood circulation.
- Smooth Reclining: It also offers a smooth reclining position which is easy to adjust while stopping at any chosen position.
- East To Adjust: This chair includes a remote control with two buttons for adjusting the lift mechanism and reclining positions.
- Convenient Features: It offers convenient features such as cupholders on the armrest and a USB port for charging devices.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: In searching for the top recliner model for edema, we looked at some of the best sites dedicated to comparing and reviewing such products. One thing that stood out is the Mcombo Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair, and this model appears quite frequently in these reviews.
This recliner offers some of the best value for money. It has a comfortable seat that’s covered in durable, high-quality faux leather. The chair also has a smooth range of motions allowing you to adjust and relax in an ideal way for your swollen legs.
Firstly, the powerful lift mechanism of this recliner benefits people with edema, since it:
- Lift assistance of the chair assists the user to stand up easily without adding stress to the back or knees by pushing the entire chair up
- Users can adjust the chair to tilt closer to a stand-up position, allowing blood to flow more naturally.
- East to adjust by using the remote.
Secondly, it has a smooth reclining position, which is convenient since:
- It is easy to adjust the reclining position with the remote control and can be set to any position
- Using its reclining mechanism, the chair reclines and elevates the footrest, allowing your legs to be elevated above your heart, which improves blood flow.
This comfortable power lift recliner also has additional convenient features, ideal for people with puffy legs or swollen ankles. Since they can charge their phones with the USB port available and store their drinks in the cupholders on the armrests, so they do not have to stretch or stand up for small tasks that can put stress on their bodies.
Final Thoughts: All things considered, This versatile and multifunctional recliner is a great choice for anyone who wants to relax in a way that is beneficial for swollen feet or poor circulation problems.
Considering this power lift recliner’s comfort, easy-to-adjust mechanism, which is ideal for people with swollen feet and durability, it is the only option.
As proof of its credibility, some of its buyers are extremely satisfied with it; one buyer specifically noted that the chair’s recline position elevates your feet almost to the level of your heart; this helped her father’s feet and maintained proper blood circulation.
2. Human Touch Perfect Chair “PC-420”- Best Zero-Gravity Recliner
- Material: It is upholstered in eco-friendly SofHyde premium leather from head to toe, including the arms.
- Neutral Posture: This recliner provides neutral posture positioning, which eliminates painful pressure points and ensures that blood vessels do not become blocked since they are in a neutral position.
- Ideal Reclining: It allows you to position your body in a weightless state while its recline lever enables you to adjust the reclining so that your feet remain above your heart
- Durable: This zero gravity chair is made from a solid parawood base and high-quality upholstery material that is meant to last.
Overview: The picture shows this Human Touch Perfect looking like a normal recliner chair, but as the title suggests, this chair escapes gravity and provides a perfect reclining experience. This product is from Human Touch, a company known for its great products. To support astronauts in space, NASA developed a concept of zero gravity and neutral body positioning, and this concept inspired the design of the Perfect Chair’s body-frame ergonomics.
Due to the zero-gravity seating offered by this chair, sitting on it provides numerous health benefits to people facing poor circulation and leg swelling like edema.
This is because the chair offers easy-to-adjust manual controls for the reclining angle that can be adjusted in any position, including the position I listed among the best edema recliners for elevating legs above the heart to improve blood circulation.
When it comes to the recliner’s comfort, it is upholstered in eco-friendly material that is SofHyde, a leather-like polyurethane that looks very modern and comfy to sit on.
Final Thoughts: I recommend that you buy this chair if you want to say goodbye to your sensitive situation. The chair is expensive, but I believe that you can’t put a price on comfort and durability.
3. Irene House Lift Chair Recliners – Comfortable Recliner To Ease Swollen Feet
- Material: It is made up of leather that is breathable, water-resistant, and easily cleaned.
- Independent Adjustability: The chair comes with an electric motor and dual motor that is exceptionally smooth and quiet and lets the footrest and backrest be adjusted independently.
- Lift Assistance: It features a lift function that is ideal for people with leg and back problem as the lift assistance help the seated person to rise with the touch of a button without putting stress on the overall body.
- Infinite Adjustment: It also offers infinite adjustment for reclining, from 108 to 180 degrees and for the footrest, which can be elevated individually above the heart from 90 to 180 degrees.
- East To Control: It is easily controllable because of the 4 buttons hand controller.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: Double the comfort- that is what Irene House Lift Recliner Chair is for that provides infinite positions so you can easily make yourself seated in an ideal way. This power lift chair offers independent adjustment from reclining positions to leg rest adjustment. Therefore, if the user needs to raise the feet while staying upright so that the legs are positioned to promote healthy blood flow, this chair fills that gap.
This chair also has a very durable lift feature. Therefore, if your loved one uses a wheelchair or needs some assistance getting from a seated position to a standing one, this chair takes away all the hassle and provides control to the seated person via remote control with four buttons to rise to a standing position with the help of this power lift recliner.
In addition to comfort, this lift chair has a very durable frame and padded high-density sponge for added support. The lift chair can also handle a weight capacity of 300 pounds.
Final Thoughts: Overall, if you are looking for a recliner chair with multiple modern features, easy to adjust and provides a comfortable position to rest your feet and back, along with a price within this range. In that case, the Irene Power Lift Recliner is the best offer.
4. Esright Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair – Comfortable Massage Recliner For Edema
- Extra Comfort: Overstuffed pillow on the seat, backrest, and armrest offer extra comfort and keep your body posture ideal, and they are upholstered in PU leather.
- Massage and Heat: It features 8 massaging points and one lumbar heating, which is easy to control with the hand control remote.
- Lift Feature: The chair also features a lift mechanism to help you ease standing those with swollen feet or ankles.
- Adjustable Reclining: It offers an infinite reclining mechanism to 150 degrees, so you can adjust and stop it in any position you feel comfortable.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: Like our last listing, this power lift recliner offers almost the same functionality; however, the difference is that the reclining positions and footrest work together in this Esright power lift recliner. Likewise, it is also an affordable option compared to our last listing. It is still a good option for those looking for a recliner to help with blood circulation and maintain posture by keeping seated people snug with their chair’s backrest due to its thickly padded backrest.
A second great feature of this recliner is its massage and heat feature, which will help you reduce unnecessary tension in your body by providing both massage therapy and lumbar heat to warm your back.
Final Thoughts: As you might expect, this power lift recliner for edema is more comfortable and durable than you thought it would be at this price point. This recliner’s credibility and buyers’ review convinced us to add it to our list of the best recliners for edema.
5. ANJ Large Power Lift Recliner – Best Recliner Chairs With Massage And Heat Therapy
- Material: The chair material is high-quality faux leather.
- Lift Assistance: Smooth The chair has a smooth lift mechanism controlled by an independent UP/DOWN control panel.
- Massage and Heat: It features 8 massage points and 5 massage modes that range from neck to ankle and a heating point to make your relaxation even more enjoyable.
- Automatic Footrest: It features an automatic footrest that can be opened or closed automatically without causing trouble for the seated person.
- Convenient Features: This recliner offers a USB charging port and side pockets to store remote controls, books, etc.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: Our list of recommendations for the best recliners for patients with edema also includes this ANJ Large Power Lift Recliner Chair. It is a recliner from ANJ HOME, a company specializing in living-room furniture. ANJ HOME designs sofas that are both comfortable and of high quality, so that’s why this recliner is also comfortable.
This edema recliner has versatile features, such as the power lift mechanism and an infinite reclining feature with an automatic footrest. The lift feature is easy to use, just like the leg rest and reclining features. The user can adjust the recliner according to his personal preferences with the control panel.
Moreover, it provides comforting massage therapy and 8 points that run from your neck to your thighs and ankles. This is undoubtedly a plus point for people who have swollen feet. Further, this chair can also comfortably support 300 pounds of weight, so you’ll enjoy it for years to come.
Final Words: For individuals suffering from swollen legs or edema seeking simply-straightforward comfort that will help them perform basic tasks, this recliner chair has them covered without being overly
6. TACKspace Power Lift Chair – Best Affordable Edema Recliner
- Material: The chair is made of breathable leather that is exceptionally durable and easy to clean.
- Comfortable Padding: The chair has a padded backrest and headrest for maximum comfort and a thickly padded adjustable footrest for comfort.
- Lift Feature: The smooth and slow power movement lifts the chair entirely and pushes it up from the base without stress on the back or knees.
- Infinite Reclining Positions: The chair reclines infinitely from 45 to 160 degrees, easily adjustable with the remote controller.
- Durable: It is a durable chair having a solid alloy steel frame that can hold a weight capacity of 330 LB.
What We Think About This Product
Overview: The TACKspace power lift recliner features quiet comfort, durability, and a long-lasting mechanism to allow you to sit comfortably even after recovering from swollen feet or edema.
The chair mechanism is exceptionally smooth, quiet, and safe and offers an ideal lift feature to help you stand, along with infinite recline adjustment to help you find comfortable reclining positions. To adjust the reclining position and elevate the footrest, this recliner has an attached remote that lets you adjust reclining and footrest adjustability with one touch of the button.
In terms of comfort and support, this reclining chair has a very comfortable feel to it with its high-quality breathable leather and comfortable overstuffed pillows on its headrest and backrest to wrap your body in cozy comfort.
Final Thoughts: This recliner deserves its own spot on our list of the best recliners for edema because of the modern look coupled with all of the best recliner features at the lowest price compared to others, so it’s also a good deal.
Things To Consider Before Buying Edema Recliner
To compile the list of most appropriate lift recliners for edema we looked over these things to ensure that the purchase you are going to make it worth spending.
If your recliner lacks adequate support or is made from low-quality materials, it can restrict blood flow, worsening your situation.
The best type of recliner for swollen feet is one that provides comfortable support so that there is no strain on your body that could block the blood flow from your leg to your heart. This type of chair is made of high-quality material, just like our recommended recliners.
Ideally, the edema recliner should offer infinite reclining positions and easy controls for adjusting the recline position, So that whenever you want to recline, you can easily do so according to your preferences.
Furthermore, lift recliners such as those we recommend are usually those that are equipped with two motors because they allow the user to adjust the reclining mechanism independently as well as the footrest mechanism.
So, can we conclude that single motor reclining mechanisms are not suitable for edema patients? No, but you should keep in mind that not every reclining mechanism that is single-motor compatible will work well for your sensitive situation; that’s why we chose the single motor recliner based on the other factors we discussed in this buying guide.
The recliner should have a robust mechanism by which we mean that the features of the recliner should be smooth and strong.
To make it more clear for you let’s say you choose a random recliner without considering whether the reclining feature adjusts smoothly or not, whether the lift feature performs well and if the motor is strong enough and does it makes more noise than the relatively moderate amount.
Here’s an example, let’s talk about the motor to better understand what I am saying. If it makes more noise than it should then there is something mechanically rubbing within the motor. Thus, over time it could be damaged.
Therefore, make sure that the recliner you choose for your edema situation is from a trusted brand Chanel so you can enjoy an ideal chair.
This buyer’s guide should have listed the footrest first rather than the comfort of the recliner. However, if you’ve read my recliner reviews for edema, you already know that almost every recliner has an adjustable footrest that can elevate your legs above your heart or make the leg rest flat enough to stretch your legs comfortably.
In other words, the best recliner chair for edema should have a footrest that is exceptionally comfortable and easily adjustable in order to meet the criteria of being an effective circulatory helper.
Life with edema or swollen feet can be difficult as it can lead to pain, discomfort, and other related problems. With the right recliner, you can have the perfect support and comfort that you need.
Thankfully, the companies we have listed all are brands that are well known for their aim to provide adequate comfort to their buyer with the right type of furniture. So buying any recliner chair from our list of the best recliner for edema will going to give you maximum comfort.
Is Reclining Chair Good For Your Legs Circulation?
The right type of recliner, such as a riser recliner, can lift your leg to the correct position with just a touch of a button. Elevation reduces pain and helps improve your blood flow in the lower extremities.
Is A Recliner Good For Swollen Legs?
With swollen legs, you can certainly make good use of a recliner to provide welcome comfort and support. Riser recliners or lift recliners are specially designed to assist with sensitive situations like these. The person seated on a lift recliner can elevate their legs with footrests on the lift recliner. Also, The lift feature of the recliner also makes it possible for patients with swollen legs to be able to stand without the need for any outside force.
Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean that only power lift chairs are suitable in this situation. There are some traditional recliners that have a footrest that helps you stretch your legs on the leg rest as well as raise your legs above your heart for proper blood circulation.
Does Raising Your Leg Help With Edema?
Yes, elevating your legs above the heart level can reduce swelling in your legs due to fluid retention caused by lack of elevation. Raising your legs above the ground also encourages the flow of blood around your legs and feet, as gravity works in your favour, which helps diminish swelling in your ankles and feet.
You Can Also Read: